There are lots of reasons why you might need professional assistance in roof repairs. Keep in mind that the roof is the part of a house that is exposed to different weather conditions. It needs to be sturdy enough to withstand the changes in weather and extreme temperatures. On the other hand, regardless of how durable the roof is, it can still wear out over time especially if not maintained properly.
Here are some of the most common reasons why you might need professional roofers to assist you in roof repairs.
1. Fallen tree limbs – You might want to cut off the branches of the trees near your house that are hanging over your roof. These may accidentally fall on your roof due to strong winds, hurricanes, heavy rains, or even tree disease. The severity of the damage on your roof depends on the manner by which the branch has fallen. Regardless, you will surely need assistance repairing the damage caused by a fallen tree limb. To prevent this from happening, you need to make sure that no trees are near your roof and no tree branches are hanging over your roof.
2. Stray animals on the roof – Depending on your specific location, there are lots of different types of stray animals that can find comfort and warmth on your roof and decide to hang out and eventually stay for good. These animals including wood peckers, nesting birds, snakes, rats, and raccoons can find their way to your roof. When these animals decide to stay on your roof for a long time, they can cause damage. For example. Raccoons can easily tear off vent covers and shingles.
3. Clogged gutters and downspouts – When your gutter and downspouts are clogged, water will not be able to flow through continuously. As a result, water will accumulate and cause your roof to rot over time. Rotting will eventually lead to leaks and mold problems, which will require more serious roof repairs. Ensure your gutters and downspouts are free from any debris accumulation and that nothing is blocking their passage.
4. Missing or loose shingles – Your roof shingles can become loose or missing due to strong winds and heavy rains. When this happens, the gap that is created can cause water to seep through the ceiling and cause mold and leak problems. To prevent this from happening, make sure you spend time assessing the damage that your roof has obtained from a recent storm. Make sure the storm is gone and it is already safe for you to come out and assess roof damage. Do not forget to take a closer look at your roof shingles and note the areas where there are missing or loose shingles.
5. Damaged flashing – Flashing is often found around the chimney and where roof ends meet. It is used to seal the gaps and prevent water from leaking through the ceiling and causing more severe and costly damages.